10.11.2011

A sign, a lesson

Last week after mowing my grass I was doing some things outside and noticed the largest praying mantis I had ever seen perched on the fence leading into my backyard.


Of course, I snapped a picture and joked about how it was big enough to eat me alive. Mantis' aren't something you see everyday around Indiana.


Imagine my surprise when I was closing the windows in my sunroom this evening and saw her perched on the screen. Mind you - my sun room is on the opposite side of the house as where she graced me with her presence last week. 


Curious as to what these run-in's could mean I took to Google & was surprised by what I found...

The mantis comes to us when we need peace, quiet and calm in our lives. Usually the mantis makes an appearance when we've flooded our lives with so much business, activity, or chaos that we can no longer hear the still small voice within us because of the external din we've created.


After observing this creature for any length of time you can see why the symbolism of the praying mantis deals with stillness and patience. The mantis takes her time, and lives her life at her own silent pace.


The mantis never makes a move unless she is 100% positive it is the right thing for her to do. This is a message to us to contemplate and be sure our minds and souls all agree together about the choices we are making in our lives.
Overwhelmingly in most cultures the mantis is a symbol of stillness. As such, she is an ambassador from the animal kingdom giving testimony to the benefits of meditation, and calming our minds.


An appearance from the mantis is a message to be still, go within, meditate, get quite and reach a place of calm. It may also a sign for you to be more mindful of the choices you are making and confirm that these choices are congruent. [Source]


Rather fitting considering everything that has been going on the past few months, huh? I used to be afraid/grossed out by praying mantis' but now I'm glad she's crossed my path a few times and I hope she sticks around a little while longer!
Photobucket

12 comments:

tara said...

yeah. he wants you to be still and quiet SO HE CAN EAT YOU.

Michelle (michabella) said...

LMAO to Tara's comment.

But this is a very interesting post. Never knew that stuff about those creepy things. Def very fitting.

xoxo

Liz Taylor said...

what the fudge eva! Nothing calming to me about one of those babies coming around! eeek!!! But aside from that, I totally get your point. XO

Ali said...

I think that's kinda cool!! It's a nice thought if nothing else!

Jax said...

I like this... very cool, friend!

♥ Marcy ♥ said...

This gave me cold chills girlie!!!

Heather said...

Very cool!! I have never seen one in person before.

Amanda said...

What an awesome sign! I love when things like this appear in our lives.

P.S. I am not going to be murdering you, just sending some birthday love :)

Mateya said...

Okay that is kinda weird/creepy/cool/interesting.

I thought they only lived like on islands. Who knew?

Holly said...

I never knew that about the mantis. On a couple of occasions there has been one over my back screen door in the morning when I'm leaving for work. I'll be mindful when I see another one!

Unknown said...

=] I've come across about 5 in the past few weeks. I think it's their season, but I looked it up too and found that same information. Made me feel better about running into them everywhere!
XoXo

Marian said...

Aw, I love this!! Though, my fear of bugs definitely would have had me running in the other direction.