10.27.2011

My greatest Halloween costume ever

I think it's time to dedicate an entire post to one of my proudest creations: 

The Double Dare costumes 

Growing up I can't remember a single time that my parents bought my brother or I a Halloween costume. They were always handmade... it only seemed fitting to carry on the tradition into my adult years!



Armed with a grocery cart full of plain red shirts and shorts, elbow & knee pads, iron on printer paper, orange fabric, lime green paint, plastic drinking glasses and bicycle helmets I set to work on our costumes



 

In an attempt to give credit where credit was due... my dad took our origianly idea of simply hot glueing the cups to the helmets a step further and worked his fatherly magic creating some seriously good looking Double Dar helmets! (Don't ask me how he did it... there was a grinder and bondo of some sort involved)

Our costumes were a huge hit,  I can't tell you how many people have asked if they could have them. To which my response is basically hell no. (Heh what just being honest)

Somewhere in the past two years since being DD contestants all the components have turned up missing, so who knows if the DoubleDare costume will ever get to live out it's glory again... but my trusty helmet is in the trunk of my car! Never know when you may want to bust that bad boy out!

Go Red Team!! Pie in the pants, pie in the pants!



Photobucket

23 comments:

Al said...

EEK Double Dare!! I had forgotten all about that show, and you took me back to watching episodes at the dinner table with my family - LOVED IT!! I never was huge into Halloween, but those costumes are enough to make me a team Halloween player :) xoxo

My Life as A Plate said...

LOVE your costume you are so creative!!! I grew up always having homemade costumes and still make them myself today, it is so much more fun!

Anonymous said...

Oh em gee! I love it, Chels! You are sooo freaking creative that it makes me hate you. A little.

Michelle (michabella) said...

Um. Is it bad that I don't know what Double Dare is?? I assume it was a game show.

Awesome costumes though! I am loving the helmet. Great for drunk nights, lol.

♥ Marcy ♥ said...

That is AWESOME!!!! Loved that show!

Heather said...

That is an AWESOME costume!!

Amanda said...

Um... you impress me. I love your costume and how crafty you are. Maybe you should come to CT and be my crafting partner in crime...just a thought!

Annie said...

seriously best costumes EVER!!! so cool!!

Monica said...

LOVE IT!! I don't think I would ever have thought that up but its great!

Kristin said...

omigosh that's amazing! you're a genius!

tara said...

That is a really awesome costume! I never get creative with costumes because I'm lazy. Lol.

Tatiana said...

That's a really fun costume! How creative of you!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE it!!!

whitney said...

this is brilliant!

well done.

and i wish it was still ok to watch this show.

Mateya said...

Oh gosh I LOVED that show!

What are you going to be for Halloween this year?

Megan said...

that pretty much is one of the best! Props girly

Ashley said...

Oh my gosh those costumes are amazing! I actually just saw a similar costume today, but they were nowhere as detailed as your slime covered t-shirts and helmet with cup on it. The best costumes are always the homemade ones. Great job. I double dare you to wear that helmet to work one day. ;)

Laura said...

Awesome costume! I loved that show! I wanted my husband and I to dress up as one of the teams from Legends of the Hiddle Temple (blue baracudas anyone?) but he'd already decided on a costume with one of our friends. Next year!

Marian said...

Love it!! You so crazzzzy! One of my favorite costumes was then a group of us dressed up like surfs. Literally painted most of our bodies blue. Yeah, that was a great clean-up.

Ashley said...

I am a new follower ;)

Feel free to pop by and say hello ;)

Unknown said...

AMAZING costume. Double dare was the best show.

Jax said...

ha! This is fantastic! You guys look fabulous! Great idea!

erica said...

Oh my goodness best costume EVER!

xo