6.14.2011

Cali Chronicles - Part 1

If you thought the Vegas trip in March was spontaneous, you're gonna love this....

Did I tell you about the weekend in spent gallivanting around Southern California? 
No? I didn’t?
Oh that’s right, it was top secret.
Meh… you know the saying… secrets secrets are no fun.




It had to be a secret at the time though. I may have called in sick to work on that Friday.

From California. 

Yes, go ahead and do the mental math… I set my alarm clock for 3:30am California time, so I could call into work at 6:30am Indiana time. My excuse – a killer migraine. Not a complete lie; after all that 3:30am alarm didn’t really wake me up… we had just gotten back in from the bar, all those margaritas did give me a bit of a headache afterall…..

It gets better. Let me tell you how it all unfolded! A few weeks ago, on a chilly Thursday night, I went to an event downtown with an old friend and 2 of his friends who were in town from California for the 500. D was one of those friends. We all had a blast together and then cheerfully parted ways at the end of the night. I never did see D, or the other two for that matter, for the rest of the weekend.

Skip ahead a few days and I log onto facebook to see a picture of D, posted by another mutual friend, pop up onto my news feed! I want to say that was on Sunday… (keep note of this timeline, it adds to the story). I excitedly exclaim ‘D___! ‘ to myself (his nickname) and friend request him.
.03 seconds later I get a facebook chat from him saying ‘hey call me’ with his phone number.

We chat for a good hour or so that night, and at some point he asks if I’ve ever been to Cali. I reply no, and he follows it up very matter of factly with a “well you should come hang out sometime, you would love it here”, and I throw back a “Buy my ticket and I will!” jokingly. I’m real shy and beat around the bush, can you tell. Ha. I didn’t think much of it, we talked about numerous other things and then said our goodbyes and goodnights.

D works in the racing industry, and travels a lot… so the fact that he was going to be in California that upcoming weekend became a big topic of conversation between us in the next few days. The fact that we both had non-booked weekends approaching quickly led back to the ‘come out to cali’ conversation from that first night, and again I jokingly told him if he payed for my ticket I would. Next thing I know, it’s Wednesady night nearing midnight and we’re on the phone discussing flight possibilities…. I’m lingering, still slightly unsure but then I figure what the hell and within 30 minutes I have seats for a flight out of Indy not even 12 hours away.

I told you I am totally embracing the “you only live once, go for it!” mindset.

So I got off the phone, packed my bags & tried to catch a few hours of sleep before I embarked on a full day of work followed by hurrying to the airport to catch a flight . To say that I was exhausted when I landed in Orange County at 10ish that night (1am indy time) would be an understatement however who wants to crash out as soon as they land… so I conquered the second official meeting of D and off to Cabo Cantina we went! For, the signature phrase of the weekend, ‘just one margarita’.

Well, as it always does, that one drink turned into 3 or 4, and we made more and more friends as the time passed.


I wasn’t even 6 hours deep in SoCal and I was already loving it… 


[Read the conclusion of  Cali Chronicles - Part 2 here]
Photobucket

23 comments:

ty said...

OMG. When I lived in LaLa, we frequented the Cabo Cantina :)

ashley said...

Ahhhhhhhhhh, you keep me hanging on every time...can't wait for part 2!

Anonymous said...

Only you, my dear. You have the most fascinating, exciting life ever! haha

Kerr said...

ah! this is fantastic! cant wait to hear the rest!

Caitlin said...

So I'm pretty sure that you have the most fabulous single life EVER! I think I need to develop your "you only live once" attitude!

Mateya said...

I love that you decided to blog about this! Seriously you know I think you're crazy but I am totally jealous! I was never that spontaneous!

Caroline said...

Pack me in your suitcase next time. Ok?

♥ Marcy ♥ said...

This is awesome!

Anonymous said...

AHHHHHH I feel like I am reading a steamy sex novel....I can't wait to read more!!! I LOVE IT!

tara said...

This is good stuff! Keep it coming!

Tatiana said...

haha. I'm with JLN on this one :-) You are really living on edge nowadays, aren't you?

Leah @ Everyday Love said...

I wish I had your spontaneity! Can't wait to read more, you should think about turing these posts into a book!

Jen said...

Haha you are awesome!!!!

krystal said...

You definitely were holding out on us! :) Can't wait to read the rest!

Britt said...

I love this! My hubby and I love Cabo. 2 for 1 drinks are so much trouble, but so much fun:)

undomestic mama said...

Love your attitude! I wish I had embraced the You Only Live Once mantra.

Amanda said...

Ha! I love the spontaneity :)

Alexson said...

Child, you get more free tickets than ANYONE. Work it!

Michelle (michabella) said...

Love this story!!! You sneaky lil girl!!! I am so glad you went though! NO REGRETS! Plus...super hard to not pass up a free flight!

Brooke D said...

so funny... been to the cabo cantina many of times!!!

Lindsey said...

thank you for the sweet comment!!

bananas. said...

atta girl! you only live once...might as well have fun!

and when i say fun, i mean having a blast in cali :)

Marian said...

I love your life:)

And I always find that whenever I say, "I'm not gonna drink tonight..." I always end up white girl wasted:)