3.16.2011

Irish Car Bomb cupcakes

Seeing as I work in the industry, I always find it fun to make boozy baked goods. Last night, in the spirit of the Irish, I made Irish Car Bomb cupcakes!

I used a recipe from Mixing Bowl (recipe is below) and to be honest, I wasn't real thrilled with it. Maybe it was me and my flighty measuring, but the icing recipe is way off, I had to do some serious altering to make it look like an icing rather than soup!


Regardless, I tried one, and even though they aren't the prettiest cupcakes I've made they sure are tasty (and are true to their Irish Car Bomb flavor!)

I brought in a dozen or so to work, we'll see how these liquor connoisseurs rate them!

IRISH CAR BOMB CUPCAKES
Ingredients:
FOR THE CUPCAKES:
1 cup Guinness
1 stick, plus 1 tbs unsalted butter
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 cups dark brown sugar
3/4 cup sour cream
2 eggs
1 tbs vanilla extract
2 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp baking soda

FOR THE FROSTING:
1 stick of unsalted butter, room temperature
3 cups confectioners' sugar
Bailey's Irish Cream
Jameson Irish Whiskey - I used Tullamore Dew!

Directions:
FOR THE CUPCAKES:
1. Preheat the oven to 350; line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
2. Combine the Guinness and the butter, chopped into 1-inch chunks, in a large sauce pan, and heat to melt the butter.
3. Remove from heat, and whisk in the cocoa and sugar.
4. In a bowl, whisk the sour cream and the eggs and vanilla, then add to the beer mixture.
5. Sift together the flour and baking soda, and fold in the batter.
6. Pour into muffin molds and bake or 25 minutes, or until inserted cake tester comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes, remove from muffin tin, and cool completely on a rack.

FOR THE FROSTING:
1. Put the stick of room-temperature butter in a large mixing bowl and bet at medium-to-high speed for a few minutes.
2. Add a few short glugs of Bailey's and a tiny bit of Tullamore Dew, and mix at low speed.
3. Gradually spoon confectioners' sugar into the bowl, mixing on low speed.
*I had to use a stick and a half of butter, and much more sugar in order to make enough to cover all the cupcakes and thicken it up!
 
Enjoy!


Photobucket

12 comments:

ashley said...

I have been hearing about these cupcakes!! Thanks for the recipe. I didn't know anyone who actually made them and was curious how they'd turn out look/taste! I probably won't make them (things are hectic) but will definitely write this one down! ;) Thanks!!

Jessica said...

I think I might have to give this a shot... with a little bit of altering to the recipe! Let me know how all of your co-workers liked them.

And hello from a new follower :)

krystal said...

Oooohhh! I have most of this stuff at home. I smell a project tomorrow evening! :)

Jamie Pickle said...

You are so creative.

Jenn @ West Sac Honey said...

Am I allowed to have these at a place that doesn't allow daytime drinking? I would say yes no?

Whim Wham Life said...

Wowza! Sounds delicious! In the spirit of the Irish is right:-) xoxo

Serendipityissweet said...

What fun! :)

Mateya said...

You always come up with the best recipes! Those sound great!

Aubrey S. said...

I found a different recipe last week that has Bailey's Ganache filling. I haven't tried making them yet, but I'll have to keep yours as a back up plan.

Neely said...

I really want to try these :)

Erica said...

Yum! I took waaaaay too many Irish Car Bombs one summer in college to ever imagine I'd use the word "yum" in reference to that. But a cupcake?! Genius.

Tori Bella said...

Do you want me to email you my recipe? It's a little different and might be more what you'd like next time.