1.10.2012

The surgery

Yesterday was easily one of the longest days of my life. After a weekend full of what-ifs, I went head on into Monday aka Surgery Day on little sleep and lots of anxiety.

We spent a good chunk of time playing family fued and eating ice cream, I guess you could say those were our coping mechanisms? Anything to keep our mind off the “could be’s” and “what if’s”

I won’t bore you with all the details, but somewhere around 8:45 last night the doctor came out to talk to our crowded circle of family and friends. He spoke those words we had all been waiting since noon to hear; “The surgery is complete. The chemo port is in. Everything went well- the kidney is removed, the tumor was about the size of a grapefruit, 1.4lbs…. it doesn’t appear to have spread to the liver or any other organs.” To say that a huge weight was relieved right then and there would be an understatement!

Of course, pathology still has to take their turn looking at the tumor and work with Olivia's doctors to determine their game plan but for now we will celebrate that the first hurdle has been jumped. The surgery is complete, the Kilms tumor has been removed and now we will look forward to the next battle.

I can’t say thank you enough for the outpouring of prayers and thoughts sent our way. We all really felt the love, and continue to feel it!

Photobucket

31 comments:

Carolyn said...

I'm so glad the surgery went well! Now let's get the rest of it under control!! :)

Unknown said...

Prayers continue for all.

Ashley said...

I am soo glad everything went well! I pray for a fast and smooth recovery!

♥ Marcy ♥ said...

That is wonderful news!

Mateya said...

What an answer to prayer! So glad the tumor was able to be removed successfully! And so glad it hasn't spread!

Jennifer said...

That is fabulous news!

KRISTIN said...

Over a pound? In her little body? WOW! I am so happy to hear that everything went well and I am sure with all of the love and support around Olivia that things will continue to!

Ashley said...

Glad to hear everything went well!

Caroline said...

How wonderful. I'll keep praying!

Anonymous said...

Wow, can't believe a tumor in such a little girl was over 1 pound. glad everything went OK :) Continuing to pray for you all!!!

PCM said...

Very glad to hear this! Also, who was her doctor? I work for the IUSM, and was wondering this yesterday!

Jamie Pickle said...

Glad to hear the surgery went well, what a relief. What a strong little girl!

K said...

Glad to hear that she is out of surgery and doing ok. I know she isn't out of the woods yet, but it is good to know that at least for now they are optimistic. Still keeping you in my prayers.

Alana Christine said...

So glad to hear that the surgery went well! I hope she has a quick recovery!

ashley said...

So glad to hear that yesterday went well in terms of the surgery. You and your family will continue to be in my prayers. x

Unknown said...

That is SUCH great news!!!
Still keeping little Olivia in my prayers...
Now get some rest!!

Marian said...

So glad everything went well C!! Still sending lots of prayers your way!!

Britt said...

Wonderful news! Glad it went well!

Annie said...

So glad that you got positive news!! Sending prayers that things stay positive from here on out.

Megan said...

I'm so glad its just in that kidney. Your family is in my thoughts.

Not to make light of the situation, I did tag you in a post. Hope you join in the fun :)

www.imademybed.blogspot.com

Brooke D said...

So thankful to hear that!!!! Keeping Olivia in our prayers!!!

tara said...

SO glad that surgery went well!!!

Lindsey said...

continuously praying for you and your family!

Erica said...

That is WONDERFUL news! Prayers that the chemo does what it needs to and she can stay comfortable and healthy during the treatment!

Amanda said...

Big sigh of relief! I hope the next steps go just as smoothly as this did. Thinking of you and your family!

Jax said...

Ohwow girl. I am SO sorry I missed the first post about this somehow. I am so glad everything went well with the surgery! I am sure there will be some battles ahead, but this is definitely outstanding news for such a brave little patient. Sending love and prayers as she and your family continue to heal.

undomestic mama said...

So lad it went well! I was thinking about her on Monday.

Aly @ Analyze This said...

LOOOCE hearing this!! I'm continuing to pray and think of her!

Ashley said...

So glad to hear it went well and she's doing ok! Prayers still with you, as I'm sure it's still going to be a long process. She's got a lot of love and strength to help her through!

Wegan said...

I am so sorry, what a brave little girl and a fantastic support system to has around her.

Sending lots of love & well wishes

M x

Amber said...

Praying for your neice! I can't imagine having to go through something like this with my nephew... she is a lucky little girl to have so many people around her who love and support her.
Hope your weekend is going great!