1.24.2012

Going Green

I've decided to go green. No, not green as in recycling... green as in my breakfast!


I have read on a few blogs about the Green Monster, but being the queen of doubt, I had little faith that these were GOOD and you couldn't taste the spinach. However, after many a midday headache from not eating breakfast I figured what have I got to lose, and ventured out to Wally World to pick up a blender. Afterall, if the smoothies were a bust atleast I could use it for mudslides!

I started out with a hodgepodge of ingredients I had in my fridge:

Spinach, peach greek yogurt, peach mango coconut water, and a banana. I put about 2 handfuls of spinach in the blender, added the banana on top, then the container of yogurt and then poured the coconut water on top. My hesitation was running at an all time high right about then. I threw some ice on top and set the bad boy to high.

About 2 minutes later the green monster had evolved. I stuck my finger in for a taste, searching for the slightest hint of the leafy green flavor. Much to my surprise, no luck. I took a few more tastes before pouring it into a glass. It tasted just like a peach banana mango tropical smoothie.

And now, I've made one every morning since!

Curious to see just HOW healthy it really is, I plugged all the ingredients in to an app on my phone and came up with this:
(Updated: Someone inquired about the calorie count, I'm not exactly sure though. All of those ingredients made enough for nearly 2 smoothies, with a total calorie count of 345. So somewhere around half of that per serving? It would depend on your ingredients though)

Not too shabby for a breakfast smoothie, huh?! I'm a believer now. I went green.

Have you?? I am curious to try some of the other recipes/combinations I have seen... if you have a favorite please share!
Photobucket

26 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hmm this sounds very good. I like that I can get the spinach nutrients without having to taste spinach! I will have to try this.

Katie said...

glad you like it chicky!! :) love them too!

Amanda said...

I'm a believer now! I've had some nasty healthy smoothies. My sister was on a raw diet for a while, and she insisted I try her smoothie... Let's just say it did not taste good! Thanks for the recipe :)

Megan said...

I went green a couple of weeks ago!! Other things I have put in a smoothie is flax seed for fiber, Jay Robb protein powder, V8 juice, carrots, any kind of fruit.

One with frozen cherries, chocolate protein powder, and yogurt is delicious!

Sarah @ Simply Sarah said...

That actually looks good! And I like your thinking about mudslides, it's always good to have a back up plan!

Have a great day!

Megan said...

I got the ingredients this week to make them too. I just haven't had time. I will on Friday though :)

Al said...

"Afterall, if the smoothies were a bust atleast I could use it for mudslides!"

- That right there, girl, is why I love you. :)

I actually was going to try it myself - found a juicer/blender thing my sister doesn't want so I'm stealing it and taking it back to Syracuse with me!!

xoxoxo!!

Caitlin said...

I found a recipe for a green smoothie yesterday and went out and bought the stuff! One thing the recipe I found suggested was slicing and freezing the banana so you can skip the ice..
And where do you buy that coconut water? I have been looking for those little drink boxes but with no luck so far.

My Life as A Plate said...

I cannot believe it tastes so good with the spinach and is so healthy for you. I will have to give it a try.

Michelle (michabella) said...

I've been wanting to try this. And after seeing how healthy it is... DEF a must! Now if I could just get over the laziness I have in the mornings.

Just a Girl said...

This sounds slightly intriguing. Whats the calorie count? (Yes because apparently I am that guy now) Is it filling?

Amber said...

I have made one every day for the past two weeks as well. I use strawberries instead of bananas - but still so yummy! :)

Mateya said...

So glad you like them! :) I NEED to find that coconut water!

Amber said...

Glad you made a "big girl" purchase! :) I get a bag of frozen strawberries, pineapple & mangoes so I don't have to add ice. I use about a 1/2 cup of the fruit mixture, 1/2 cup fat-free vanilla yogurt, and 1/2 cup of either milk or orange juice and then a few handfuls of spinach - super yummy!

Carolyn said...

I like the green monsters too! I'm really bad at remembering to make them every morning, but when I do, I love them! :)

Caroline said...

I'm still too scared to try! Eeek!

Melissa Jo said...

Your braver than I am!! Although, if you really can't taste the spinach... I may have a go... hmmmm.

henning love said...

hey fabulous new blog design! love it girl. and i am scared when it comes to a green drink, i know i need to get over my fear.

KRISTIN said...

yum! i've been wanting to try this, but like you am a total skeptic.

ps. whats the nutrition app? ...i feel like it's something i need.

Sole Matters said...

i need this nutrition app! what is it? ugh, i guess now i HAVE to try the smoothie. lol

Shannon Dew said...

I used to drink these before I'd go to the gym and YUM! I need to get back into that!

Anonymous said...

I usd to make smoothies but I'm too lazy to clean up before work! Erm, don't wanna be gross but that kinda looks like snot in a pot!

Lacey in the City said...

I make one similar to this! I also put cucumber in there...it tastes so good! Oh you have me wanting one now, and I swear I couldn't find fresh produce or a juice bar in Dallas if I tried! They have like zero vegetarian options going on round these parts.

Sarah + Laura said...

Wow I can't believe how good for you that is!! I'm going to try it - thanks for the tip!

We're your newest follower! :)

Love, Laura (& Sarah)
xo

deertale said...

Ahhh might need to try this! I have a bad habit of eating pretzel m&ms for breakfast, i should probably kick.

Tiffany said...

I went green too! I was just like you---I knew for sure I'd taste the spinach and it would be horrible and I would hate it. But when I made one, it was amazing! I use the Jamba Juice kits--you can buy them in the freezer aisle and you just add apple juice. I add 1/2 - 1 cup of spinach and that's my breakfast!

~Tiffany
http://tiffanyd22.blogspot.com