1.09.2012

12:47

12:47. That’s what time it was when my phone rang Friday afternoon. I picked up figuring it was mom, calling to make plans about the wedding we were helping to set up for that evening. I immediately knew it had nothing to do with a wedding when she asked “are you busy”, the tone of her voice signaled something was wrong and a lump began to form in my throat as I waited for her to proceed.

I could tell she had been crying, and struggled to make out what she was saying. All I really understood was Olivia. Tumor. Heading to Riley Children's Hospital.

12:47pm on a Friday. That’s when I learned my 22 month old niece had cancer.

I left work and met my mom at the hospital. As soon as I rounded the corner and saw her I broke down; “Hasn’t our family had enough cancer?!” We made our way up to the CT scan waiting room, where a very melancholy toddler brightened up a bit as she saw her grammy and aunt walk through the doorway. Friday afternoon was full of testing and more testing, and waiting and more waiting.

We learned it was called a Wilms Tumor, was 11cm and had engulfed nearly her entire kidney. Surgery was inevitable, as was chemo and possibly even radiation. The plan developed that the surgery would be done that night, Friday, not even 12 hours after finding out. However it was later pushed back to Monday afternoon (today) because they wanted to make sure multiple surgeons were on call. Everyone was sent home for the weekend, faced with more waiting. And questioning. And crying. 

The question of the weekend: “How did they find out??” The answer: Olivia had been constipated, they went to their normal doctor who scheduled an xray Friday morning to take a better look at things, and lo and behold the tumor was discovered.

I am thankful Olivia is too young to really understand what’s going on, and also that she has really had no symptoms which means no pain. I am thankful my brother and sister-in-law are so strong and calm about all of this. I am thankful she is at one of the best children’s hospitals in the Midwest, and I’m thankful for the outpouring of love and prayers that have been offered up from anyone and everyone.

It absolutely sucks that she has to go through this. There’s no better way to put it. Next month, she will turn 2 and will have gone through things that hopefully no one you know will ever have to go through. It’s going to be a long road ahead of us but I am confident she will get through this, we will get through this. It’s in her blood, she’s a fighter just like the rest of the family.

Photobucket

44 comments:

Mary said...

Chelsea I am so sorry your family is going through this. You are all in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness, i can't even imagine. i am so sorry. i will be thinking of you and your family.

♥ Marcy ♥ said...

Oh Chels my heart is absolutely breaking for you and your family! I hate hate hate to hear this!!! I will be praying for you and your family and definitely your sweet little niece! Keep us posted!

whitney said...

i;m sorry chels!

i will be thinking about you and your fam today.

Christina said...

I'm so sorry. I'll be praying for your family.

Mrs. Mama said...

thinking and praying for you guys!

Jennifer said...

OMG I am SO sorry! I hope all is going to be ok. Thinking of you and your family.

Michelle (michabella) said...

Keeping Sweet Olivia and the fam in my prayers today!!! Keep us updated! <333

tara said...

Praying for little olivia, your family and the doctors today!!

Heather said...

Oh my gosh, Chelsea. You and little Olivia are in my prayers!

Mrs.S said...

I cant imagine this is easy to go through, just know all is in the hands of the Lord. Cast all of your worries, fears and doubts upon him & he will teach you to rely on him & be calm throughout it all. God bless you guys!

Aly @ Analyze This said...

Saying MANY prayers for Miss Olivia!! Bless her heart!

Keep us updated on surgery! The Riley doctors are amazing!!!

ashley said...

I am so sorry Chelsea, for Olivia, you and all of your family. This is something no one should have to go through, but especially an innocent, young child. How terribly sad. Prayers and love for Olivia and all of you. xx

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. Prayers for Olivia, your family and you. Please keep us posted. ::hugs::

Unknown said...

This is just terrible. My thoughts and prayers are with you guys.

Ashley said...

I'm am so sorry to hear this. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family

Mateya said...

Thinking about your family today and praying for a successful surgery.

Sweet Tea In Sicily said...

I've been following all of your tweets about sweet Olivia and praying for her, you, and your family.

Stay strong & trust in the Lord.

xo,
Ash

K said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your neice. That is such sad news. No one should have to go through that, let alone a 22 month old. I've learned that the little ones handle it a lot better than adults though. They adapt a little easier, plus it helps that she probably doesn't understand. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Sandra said...

She IS a fighter. Be strong with her and she will get through this.

Alana Christine said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry! My thoughts are with y'all!

Carolyn said...

Chels! I feel for you! :( Please know that I'll be thinking about you and your family!

Jamie Pickle said...

So sorry to read this. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Lexilooo said...

oh goodness, I'm so sorry to hear this, but I will keep your family in my prayers!

Tori Bella said...

Chelsea, I'm so sorry to hear about this. I'm very glad she has a fighter gene. Prayers and thoughts.

Holly said...

Praying for you, your family and Olivia!

sea to shining port said...

I am so sorry for you, your family and Olivia. But I also have an 18 month old niece, and boy do they have strength and heart. I have no doubt you will all get through this stronger, and healthier. So many thoughts and prayers are with you today - and every day.

Caitlin

Laura G said...

I am so sorry for your niece and it really tugs at me because Olivia is my daughter's name and she is only 3, so they are very close in age. I can't imagine what your family is going through. Your family and niece will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Monica said...

Sorry to hear about your neice, I will definitely pray for her and I hope the surgery goes well.

Caroline said...

Prayers for Sweet Olivia. She is such a brave and strong little girl. Just know we're all thinking about you and your family and we're praying. xoxo

KRISTIN said...

I am thinking of you and your family and sending prayers for Olivia. xoxo.

Chelsea @ two twenty one said...

Thinking of you, your family, and especially your niece!

Unknown said...

Thinking of your family and sending lots of love & prayers your way!

Amanda said...

You know I've been thinking of you and am here from you! Sending very positive thoughts your and your family's way!

Adrienne said...

AWH! This is so sad. I'm so sorry to hear that this has happened. We will be praying for your little niece!

Al said...

Oh God, Chelsea - there are no words to express how sorry I am that Olivia has to go through something like this - it's not fair. But I am confident, as you are, that she will pull through this and be a happy, healthy little girl.

Please know I am here for you, whatever that may entail. I am praying for you and your whole family, my love.

xoxoxo

Brooke D said...

Wow, I am so so so sorry!! Praying so hard for Olivia and your family!!

Jen said...

This just breaks my heart! Cancer is such a horrible thing and if you need to talk I am here to listen. Prayers for Olivia and your family during this trying time.

Ashley said...

I am so sorry! Prayers with you...Cancer has touched way too many lives... sounds like Olivia has a lot of love to get her through.

Janna said...

Keeping you and your family in my prayers...

Unknown said...

I'm following you on twitter and I am SO happy to hear that the surgery went well...
Many prayers for the long, hard road ahead but I know she's going to pull through and that she's in good hands!!
Lots of love!!
xo

Emily said...

Definitely thinking about and praying for Miss Olivia and your family.

Mallory said...

Keeping you and yours in my thoughts and prayers. I'm so sorry that you and your family have to go through this.

Keep fighting, Olivia!

Marian said...

Once she gets through this...she'll get through anything life throws her way!!