1.14.2010

In The Kitchen: Week 2: Bow Tie Ziti with Tomato, Mozzarella and Sausage

I think me following through with something like this (weekly obligations alwasy get the best of me) should be a fulfilled resolution in itself!

This week I'm channeling my inner Giada and taking a stab at an Italian dish. Not that I could even begin to compete with that girl. She's gorgeous AND she cooks, ay could you give the rest of us a chance!

I'm actually not making this until tomorrow night, so I will have to follow up with how it goes. If you notice this post mysteriously disappears between now and then, I probably butchered the recipe, had to order pizzas for our guests and didn't want to face the humility of it!

Ingredients
   -1 lb farfalle bow ties, dry
   -2 tbsp olive oil
   -1 yellow onion, chopped
   -2 cloves garlic, minced (I'm not using fresh garlic in mine)
   -1 lb Italian sausage, thinly sliced
   -35 oz whole tomatoes, peeled (I found Rold Gold tomatoes that had basil, garlic and onions already in them hah cheater, yes I am)
   -1 tbsp oregano
   -1 cup ricotta cheese, low fat
   -1/3 cup basil, chopped (also not using fresh - sorry but lets get realistic here)
   -1/2 lb mozzarella cheese (the recipe called for cubed... we're going with shredded)

Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cook pasta according to package and drain.
2. Heat 2 swirls of olive oil in a large saute pan. Heat over medium - high and cook onion until soft (about 5 min.). Add garlic.
3. Slice sausage into thin circles. Add to saute pan and cook until brown.
4. Add tomatoes with juices (I chop them with a knife right in the can) and let simmer for 10 - 12 minutes. Add oregano.
5. Combine ricotta. 3/4 cup parm, basil, and a little S&P. Add to pasta and mix together (I used my hands). Add tomato and sausage and mix again. Toss in mozzarella. Pour into greased baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining parm.
6. Bake for 20 minutes until bubbling. Serve.

(Recipe modified from You've Got Supper).

We're having 7 or 8 friends over for dinner and games tomorrow night. I sure hope this turns out well! We'll probably just serve it with Caesar salad and garlic bread (we LOVE Cugino's spread, it's so good but soo not good for you!).

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Emily said...

ooh...can't wait to hear about how it turns out! we are throwing a valentine's day party for friends, and i'm scouring the 'net looking for good recipes!