1.05.2010

In The Kitchen: Week 1: Chicken Pot Pie Casserole

One of my New Year's resolutions this year was to become a better cook, or maybe you could call it "learning to cook" but I took every Home Ec class offered in high school! I know all of the basics, and I enjoy cooking, I just never had to do it much. So with the new year I decided I was going to cook one meal a week (I might even get ambitious and do more, we'll see!)

I'm not trying to get all Julie & Julia on you, I just thought it would be fun to share what I tackle and of course I'm always open to helpful hints and new recipes!

Last night I made Chicken Pot Pie Casserole. It took about 20min to cook the chicken breast and prepare the ingredients, and had to bake in the over for roughly 50 minutes. It served 4 people with a little bit of leftovers for lunch today!

Ingredients
Filling:
   -4 chicken breasts, cooked & cut up
   -1/4 c. chicken broth
   -1 (12oz) can cream of chicken soup
   -1 (12oz) can cream of mushroom soup
   -1 bag frozen vegetables (I only had individual bags on hand so I used about 1/3 bag of green beans, broccoli & peas)
   -1small onion
   -2 medium sized potatoes (I cooked these in the microwave & cut them up before adding them)


Crust:
   -1 stick butter, melted
   -1 1/4 c. Bisquick
   -1c. milk




Preparation
Preheat oven to 350F. Mix all of the "filling" ingredients together and pour into a 9"x13" greased pan. In a seperate bowl mix "crust" ingredients, pour over chicken mixture and bake for 45-60 minutes.
(Recipe modified from Big Oven).


We LOVED this, it was the perfect comfort food for a freezing cold Indy night like last night! The only recommendation I have is perhaps adding more biscuit mixture to the top, which I plan on doing next time!

1 comment:

Emily said...

Sounds great! Wrote this one down so I can try it sometime soon!