8.15.2011

Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake

Back in the spring I was aimlessly strolling through Target (actually, it was the same day my genius tablecloth turned curtain idea struck) and a teal bundt pan hopped into my cart. Honest, I don't know how it happened. I am convinced all things teal are just drawn to me and somehow make sure that I purchase them. It's some crazy intergalactic magnetic force. (hey - bundt pans are metal... work with me!)

Anyways.... said bundt pan sat all cute in my hutch for a few months, then it became a candy dish (super cute one, by the way) for a few months after that... until all the candy got eaten and then it just sat there on the table with a few stray Fun Size Twix's and I decided it was time to actually make it work for it's keep!


And thus the Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake was born.
 (Doesn't it look so yummy on my Fiesta Pizza Tray?!)

Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake

Ingredients

  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 3/4 cup butter
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup white sugar

 

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). Lightly grease one 10 inch bundt pan.
  2. Cream 1 1/2 cups white sugar together with eggs until well blended. Add sour cream and butter or margarine and beat well. Add flour, baking soda, and baking powder and mix well. Stir in vanilla and the chopped nuts.
  3. Mix the remaining 1/4 cup of white sugar with the cinnamon.
  4. Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle generously with the cinnamon sugar mixture. Cover with remaining cake batter.
  5. Bake at 400 degrees F for 8 minutes. Lower heat to 350 degrees F  and bake for an additional 40 minutes.  
I also made a glaze to go over the top once cooled, using 1 cup powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons milk & 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.

I will now proceed to consume nearly all of it this week, because, you know... what else would be a better idea when I'll be spending all next week in a bikini!?
   Photobucket

4 comments:

Michelle (michabella) said...

YUM!!! Love that fiesta pizza tray btw!

Caitlin said...

That looks so yummy!

Marian said...

If you ever feel like you need a taste tester...please feel free to send baked goods to Baltimore:)

Brandi said...

Oooh yummy!