1.08.2013

A love affair with ampersands

I think it's a pre-req as a graphic designer to have an odd appreciation for ampersands. There is just some sort of quirky beauty that hides in them.

As I was stuck at work on Christmas Eve, with no real work to do I started sketching ampersands with my gold paint pen.

 One turned into two, and two grew into six, and an idea formulated in my head.

Armed with a half a dozen ampersands I ventured into the craft store to pick up some frames. $27 dollars later I had six 14x14 picture frames and a giddyup in my step. (They were having a REALLY good sale!)


After much debate I decided they should grace the wall of my downstairs bathroom. I had auditioned a bazillion art pieces there, but nothing seemed to fit. And these, these little gilded ampersand beauties... they fit. Perfectly.

Call me a geek all you want, I love them!

(UPDATED: After much adoration, I have decided to offer these in my Etsy shop -- you can now own your very own set of custom gilded ampersands!) 
  Photobucket

16 comments:

Katie said...

I LOVE these. Send me some? you know you want to? They look fab!!!

My Life as A Plate said...

OMG soo cute! Such a creative idea, I love them, esp. in gold :)

Holly said...

I loved these from the first time I saw you post them on Instagram! My bathroom could use some...just saying. My birthday is March 18 ;)

Sandra said...

They came out great! My best sketches are only stick figures. womp womp

love jenny xoxo said...

love them!!! very cool idea!

XOXO

Jennifer said...

Love these! Great idea.

Carolyn said...

They're SO CUTE!!! Seriously. You're so dang talented. :)

Stephanie Meredith said...

LOVE IT. Ampersands are basically the only things I doodle the the margins of my notes. Sometimes I don't even realize I'm doing it until there are already five on the page!

Lacey in the City said...

Awesome!! Love!

Betsy said...

Wow, I LOVE those!

Please tell me you have a silver, metallic, paint pen! :)

Melissa Jo said...

These are super cute! And I'm loving that you opened your etsy store!

KRISTIN said...

So stinkin' cute! How do you hang your frames so perfectly? Even if I measure mine never turn out that straight!

Unknown said...

of course dear i need the really text editor of my blog and Articles, This blog are really very helping to me and your Blog reader.
Thanks Dear.
Septorinoplasti

Chelsea said...

Wish i was crafty! They are beautifuL!

Katy {and Kahler} said...

these are fabulous! :)

Unknown said...

I ADORE these! I have a weird obsession with ampersands too for no apparent reason.