9.09.2010

Missing Person

Things that scare me shitless: the very thought of being kidnapped.
Not knowing what these people want to do with you, where they are taking you, or why they are doing it to begin with. Wondering if they intend to kill you or keep you alive and torture you. Hoping and praying that your someone, somewhere cares enough to find you.

Last night I was flipping through the new Glamour magazine and immediately stopped when I saw an article about Natalee Holloway. (Here is the link to the article: "What We've Never Told Anyone About Natalee Holloway") Being that we were the same age when she went missing, anything involving her tale always captivates me in the worst of ways.

It's told by two of her good friends from Alabama. Thank God, knock on wood, throw salt over my shoulder, praise the voodoo priestesses I can't even begin to think about being in a position like this. It gives me chills and stomach pains.

I've gone on plenty of trips with my friends, we've ventured out to local bars and hung out all night with locals. I've gone to bed without everyone being back in the hotel room safe & sound.

Thinking back on all of this I get insanely worried. I can't even imagine. 5 years of not knowing for her poor family and friends. I mean, I think by now they've probably accepted the worse as the truth, but can you imagine never knowing what exactly happened to your best friend; if she's still out there hoping someone rescues her or (on the not so optimistic side) if her body may ever be found.
The 'never knowing' is the part that gets me the most. There may never be closure. My heart goes out to them.

Sorry, I'm sure this wasn't the happy-Jamaica-picture heavy post you were expecting from me this week but it's coming I promise! I'm just distracted, that's all!
Photobucket

5 comments:

Caroline said...

Oh, this is so scary. We've all done things like this. I just wish for them some closure. Somehow. Someday. It's a scary thought.

Mateya said...

Yikes! I agree it is so scary to think about!!! I can't imagine if that were one of my friends!

Amber said...

I'm with you! I remember when all that happened. I apparently look a lot like Natalie and so everyone kept saying something to me about it. It's just so scary! I was always super careful in college when I went anywhere with my girlfriends because i was afraid something bad might happen. Thankfully, I've been very blessed never to have had anything happen.

Jenn @ West Sac Honey said...

One of my friends in high school actually was kidnapped. She turned up safe and the guy released her because she wouldn't stop talking and pestering him and he was so annoyed of her he let her go. They caught him later thankfully. He was just let out the day before for kidnapping.

Candice Pair said...

I've always been scared about stuff like this, too. Have you seen the movie Taken? If you haven't, don't. You'll never leave the country again. Ever!