5.19.2010

Subcontracting

The other day I was running errands with my mom and we started chatting about the style of houses I like versus the style of houses available in the area I'm looking. Like I said before, I don't want a cookie-cutter vinyl house in an over-crowded neighborhood. Nothing against people who like those, that's just not what I'm into!

She brought up an interesting topic that, although it's always been a known fact, I hadn't really considered:  Subcontracting.

My parents subcontracted their house when I was 3 years old. My mom fell in love with plans in the back of a Country Living magazine, they took them to a builder who told them "This can't be built for under $160k". Knowing my mom (I get my spunk from her), she probably replied with something along the lines of "watch me!"

According to her, it was 7 months of babysitting framers and roofers, electricians and construction workers, but those 7 months were worth it. They saved over $50k dollars by running the show themselves! Not to mention they got the home of their dreams in the location they wanted.

While I'm starting to think this is a task I'd rather take on with someone by my side, say... after an engagement or something (cough cough Chrischris) because let's be honest, it would be no small feat! Regardless, that hasn't kept me from drooling over home plans. Let me share....



Oh how I love the wrap-around porches of the last two!

15 comments:

Brooke&Tyson said...

I LOVEEEE your style! Ah, that would be SO fun to do with Chrischris :) but also it would be rewarding doing it alone. Keep us updated!! Excited for you!

Cee said...

I love that style! Number one is just adorable!

Krystal said...

Dear Miss Graphic Designer,
Why don't you have a button?
Sincerely,
A Blogger Buddy that wants to link you on her page!

Andrea said...

Those house plans are beautiful! My hubby and I are going to build in a few years and we will definitely be sub-contracting. I know it will be a major headache, but I handle a year of headache for saving that much money!

Caroline said...

Those are beautiful. I really like #1! But having a porch would be so nice!!

Kristin said...

Oh! I love the Highland Cottage and the Stonebridge Cottage! How adorable!

Allison said...

first of all... I LOVE the thought of you and Chris being engaged. and second of all... i LOVE all of those houses...the wrap around porches make me drool!!

Lauren said...

Ohhhhhhh I love these! I never would have thought of subcontracting either. What a great idea!

Neely said...

Not gonna lie Im a big fan of those. I love wrap around porches too

Mateya said...

Oh goodness I LOVE the second to last one...wow!

Alissa said...

Oh those wrap around porches are awesome! What a great idea, and how brave of you to think out of the box.

Courtney said...

I agree with you about the cookie cutter boring houses.. I love a place with some character. Ah, the wrap around porches are great, you have good taste! Anyways, cut blog sweetie :)

Brittany said...

Looks like a picture in a story book! I could just see you being the leading lady in a home like that! :))

mama faith said...

My husband is a builder and I totally agree with the idea of subcontracting! I so go for it when the time is right!

Heather said...

I so want a big porch too! It'd be so nice to entertain on, grill out, swing, etc.
HEather @ www.savingmoneylivinglife.com