6.04.2013

Last one.

I remember getting the texts from my brother that day and my heart dropping. I had screenshotted it for some reason. Still to this day I can't read it without fighting back tears.


It was supposed to just be a normal follow up visit for Liv, except it wasn't.

I begged him to tell me. He wouldn't. My parents were hosting their annual Halloween bash that night, he "didn't want to dampen our spirits". Finally, he called and my world crashed down.

Brandin begged me not to tell my mom. There was nothing that could be done at that point, and he just wanted her to enjoy her night. So I put on my best fake smile and didn't say a word that night. The next day Brandin called and asked if we all would go get family pictures taken with them and Olivia. That's when my mom started questioning what was going on.


And he told her. Standing on the sidewalk outside the photography studio, on that cold October afternoon. All the doctors really said was that things didn't look good. That it came back. That it had spread.

Except, she's got the same blood that my grandfather has, her papaw, who has fought countless heart attacks, the same stubborn blood that pumps through all our veins.

And here we are another eight months and countless chemotherapy and radiation treatments later, with hearts full of hope. Because today, today is the day she starts her very last (God willing, EVER) chemo treatment.


Every doctors visit will bring clinched hands and tense thoughts, but there's no doubt in my mind this little kiddo is a fighter. She is my niece after all, and if someone tells us we don't want to hear, we're going to fight it with all our might!
  Photobucket

14 comments:

Jen said...

She is a fighter and she has an amazing family behind her fighting just as hard as she is.

♥ Marcy ♥ said...

Praying for her and your family! You guys are strong!!!

Michelle A said...

sending every single kind of good thought and karma and juju and prayers and whatever other positive uplifting thing you can think of to your sweet niece and your family! heres to good news from here on out!

Mary said...

Praying for her and your family!

Alyssa said...

Sending positive thoughts out west! She's a tough little lady!

julia rose. said...

You sure do have one strong family, girl! Between your lung and your niece's cancer- you are ALL fighters! I hope and pray that this is the very last time that little girl ever has to go through something like this! Sending good EVERYTHING your way!
xo

Sarah @ Scissors and a Whisk said...

What a strong little girl! So glad she takes after your grandfather. She has such a loving family. <3 Y'all are in my thoughts.

K said...

Sending every wish, prayer, happy thought, etc. her way. She's a tough kid! SO sorry that your family has gone through this terrible time. I wish nothing but good things for all of you, Olivia especially.

Carolyn said...

This post brings goosebumps on my arms and tears to my eyes. I'm SO GLAD that Olivia is doing so well! I'll be praying and hoping that there's no more chemo in her future!

Flor said...

oh my goodness. brought tears to my eyes. bless her sweet little heart!
sending prayers. xoxo

J and A said...

This brought tears to my eyes! She is so strong!! YAY for the LAST!

Megan O. said...

Wow! I'm sorry for your family's struggle but you have on tough little niece! You all have to be so so proud of her :) That is so awesome that she is down to the last round! You'll all be in my prayers.

tara said...

she is such a strong little girl! hope and pray that she never has to go through any of this ever again!

Miss Angie said...

So amazing! Sending so much love, and hoping it's the last ever!

Stopping by via Aubrey's Blog, she mentioned you in her Weekly Round-Up post!