9.08.2017

Northern Africa on the horizon

A week from today we'll be wrapping up our projects at work, setting our Out of Offices and scrambling to start on that last minute packing.

Then Saturday it's wheels up for Morocco. (Well, technically it's wheels up for Barcelona but those few days we are spending amongst the land of Catalonia isn't the highlight of this trip for me haha!)

Aside from the insane level of excitement I have to finally visit Morocco, this trip also holds another special place in my heart. This trip will mark my 6th continent, and the last big adventure before turning 30.

Judging by every photo I've seen of the country, I'm likely to either A) fall so in love I never want to return or B) buy SO MUCH STUFF in the souks I'm going to have to find a shipping container to send it all back stateside.

If anyone has any tips/must-see's/must-do's send them my way... I'm all ears! We will be spending about 2.5 days in Barcelona total, and a week in Morocco

2 comments:

Jenica said...

Morocco is my favorite topic (and place.)

We spent the bulk of our time in Marrakech, with a few days in Essioura and a few days on a group trip out to spend the night in the Sahara.

Do try to stay in the riads. They're amazing. So much more interesting than a hotel. Spend evenings in Jemaa el-Fna. It's amazing and beautiful and full of life. Watching the restaurants pop up out of nowhere is super interesting. The souks are off the square and you could easily wander there for hours or days. The pierced lanterns are my absolute favorite thing. I could fill a container with nothing but those. (I only bought one and had to carry it on the plane.) We took a cooking class (http://lestroismages.com/) and still make use the recipes now. Ventured up to Jardin Majorelle, that was neat. But mostly we wandered the medina streets, stopped to drink tea and people watch, etc.

Essioura filled with amazing restaurants and art. There's a painting I'm still kicking myself over not buying. And seriously, the food, oh man.

I adored sleeping in the desert, and we met our awesome Kiwi friends on that trip, but if you've only got a week, it'd be a shame to waste that much time driving. Though it was super interesting to wake up in a desert, drive through a horrible snowstorm, and relax on a riad roof all in the same day.

I really want to go back and hike in the mountains and visit all the small villages someday.

We stayed here the majority of the time we were in Marrakech.
http://lestroismages.com/

This is where we stayed in Essioura. Very small door, but so cozy inside! http://www.riadremmy.co.uk/overview.php

R's Rue said...

Have a great time.